SURPRISE, Ariz. — Several Rangers starters got some key work in Monday. Yu Darvish threw a bullpen session in the morning in preparation for his Wednesday start. And Derek Hollandand Alexi Ogando each threw two innings in a Cactus League game. Here are six things of note from Monday in Surprise:
1. Derek Holland focued on his off-speed stuff. He wants his changeup to be slower and still get over the plate and he threw more curve balls and sliders to work on those pitches. Alexi Ogando vows to pitch inside.
2. Yu Darvish threw a bullpen session Monday and will start Wednesday. His next start after that comes March 13 in Goodyear against the Cleveland Indians. So a home game in Surprise will still have to wait, Darvish also has a new deal with Topps.
3. Here are some Rangers notes, including Mike Olt being hungry to learn first base.
4. Several Rangers pitchers threw in a three-inning intrasquad game Monday, including LHPJoe Beimel. He had a strikeout in one clean inning of work.
5. Some of the Rangers’ left-handed options for the bullpen threw Monday and had some struggles. Manager Ron Washington cautioned that it’s only the first real outing of the spring and the club must watch them over time. Some of them did have various degrees of success against left-handed hitters.
6. Check out ESPN.com’s Eric Karabell’s thoughts on the Rangers’ fantasy prospects for 2012: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/texas-rangers/post/_/id/4878992/rangers-fantasy-facts-with-eric-karabell
Thomas Brunt covers the Texas Rangers on his own personal sports blog.